No personal information will be communicated, directly or indirectly, to a third party without your informed and written consent.
Exceptions to this policy include the legal, and/or ethical obligations to:
· Inform a potential victim of violence of a client's intention to harm.
· Inform an appropriate family member, health care professional or police if necessary of a client's intention to end his or her life.
· Release a client's file if there is a court order to do so.
· Inform those authorizes who provide protection if there is suspicion that a Senior or Child is at risk or in need of protection due to
neglect, or physical, sexual or emotional abuse.
· Report a regulated health professional who has sexually abused a client to the professional's regulatory body.
I am regulated by the Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometrists & Psychotherapists who enforce strict guidelines about the protection of your information.
Like all organizations, various government agencies (e.g., Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, Information and Privacy Commissioner, Human Rights Commission, etc.) have the authority to review my files and interview me our as part of their mandates. In these circumstances, I may consult with professionals (e.g., lawyers, accountants) who will investigate and protect your privacy rights where warranted.
The cost of some goods/services provided by my practice to clients is paid for by third parties (e.g., WSIB, private insurance, EAP Companies and Churches). These third party payers often have your consent or legislative authority to direct me to collect and disclose to them certain information in order to demonstrate client entitlement to this funding. This can not to be done without your consent.
It is my policy that clients have a legal and moral right to know what information is contained about them in their record. Clients or their legal designates shall have access to all information which can be identified as pertaining to them (and only them) and which is stored in the client record, with the exception of information that is believed to be harmful or that is confidential about or from third parties. All requests to read your file must be put in writing and I will respond to the request within 30 days. If you believe there is a mistake in the information, you have the right to ask for it to be corrected. This applies to factual information and not to any professional opinions I may have formed.
Retention/destruction of Information
I am hyper vigilant in the protecting your private information. Here is the procedures I follow to accomplish that goal.
1. Any paper information is stored either in a locked file or held in a restricted area.
2. Electronic hardware is either under supervision or secured in a locked facility.
3. Information transmitted via paper is through sealed, addressed envelopes or
boxes by reputable companies, Canada Post, UPS, etc.
4. Electronic information is transmitted either through a direct line or is anonymized or encrypted.
As required by my external regulatory body, I retain personal information for five (5) years following the client’s last contact with me.
When documents reach the five year period, they are shredded and hard drives are destroyed.
Should suspicions develop whereby it is felt that I am in non-compliance with the above statement or the regulations as mandated by the Ontario Legislature, please contact the privacy Commissioner of Canada to submit your complaint.
The Privacy Commissioner of Canada
112 Kent Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 1H3